Botnets are one of the most dangerous cyber threats that can compromise the security and privacy of millions of devices. To combat this menace, eScan, a leading cybersecurity solutions vendor, has joined forces with CERT-In, the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team, to provide a free botnet scanning and cleaning toolkit for all citizens.
What is a botnet and why is it harmful?
A botnet is a network of infected devices that are controlled by hackers for malicious purposes. The infected devices, also known as bots or zombies, can be used to send spam, steal data, gain unauthorized access, and launch distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks. Botnets can affect any device that is connected to the internet, such as laptops, desktops, smartphones, tablets, routers, smart TVs, and IoT devices.
Botnet infections can have serious consequences for the users, such as:
- Slowing down the device performance and consuming bandwidth
- Exposing personal and financial information to cybercriminals
- Damaging or deleting important files and data
- Participating in illegal or unethical activities without the user’s knowledge or consent
- Facing legal actions or penalties for being part of a cybercrime
How can the eScan and CERT-In toolkit help you?
To help citizens detect and remove botnet infections from their devices, eScan and CERT-In have collaborated to offer a free botnet scanning and cleaning toolkit. This toolkit is part of the Cyber Swachhta Pakhwada, a national campaign to create a secure cyberspace by enhancing the digital hygiene of the users.
The eScan and CERT-In toolkit has the following features:
- It can scan and clean the latest botnet infections, viruses, spyware, adware, and malware from the devices
- It can view the quarantined files and logs for old and current scan sessions
- It can update the virus signature database manually
- It does not interfere with other anti-virus software or system performance
- It creates and maintains detailed logs for all actions
The eScan and CERT-In toolkit is easy to use and does not require any installation. The users can download the executable file from the website of Cyber Swachhta Kendra (CSK) or MicroWorld’s official website and run it as an administrator. The users can choose between quick scan and custom scan options and follow the instructions to clean their devices.
How can you prevent botnet infections in the future?
The eScan and CERT-In toolkit is a useful tool to scan and clean the existing botnet infections from the devices. However, the users should also take preventive measures to avoid getting infected in the future. Some of the best practices are:
- Install and update a reliable anti-virus software and firewall on the devices
- Avoid opening suspicious links or attachments from unknown sources
- Use strong and unique passwords for different accounts and devices
- Enable two-factor authentication for online services and applications
- Update the operating system and applications regularly
- Avoid using public or unsecured Wi-Fi networks
- Backup the important files and data regularly
By following these steps, the users can protect their devices and data from botnet infections and other cyber threats.