Google Play has revealed its ‘Best of 2023 India’ apps list, featuring the top apps and games across various categories. The list showcases the apps and games that have been popular, innovative, and useful for Indian users in 2023.
Level SuperMind and THAP win top honors
The best app of the year award went to Level SuperMind, an app that helps users improve their mindfulness with personalized recommendations comprising a mix of meditation, exercises, journals, and sleep stories. The app claims to help users reduce stress, increase focus, and enhance happiness.
The user’s choice app of the year award went to THAP, an app that helps users improve their mental well-being and gives them access to resources and therapists to manage depression, anxiety, and stress. The app also offers a community platform where users can share their experiences and support each other.
Fun and creativity apps dominate the list
The ‘Best for Fun’ category featured apps that enabled users to express their creativity, connect with others, and enjoy entertainment. Some of the apps in this category were:
- Dashtoon, an artificial intelligence-powered comic platform that allows users to create and share comics with various styles, characters, and backgrounds.
- Pepul, a social media platform that enables users to join global interest-based communities with hyper-local and personalized content from creators.
- Threads, an app from Instagram that lets users share photos, videos, and messages with their close friends in a fast and fun way.
Gaming apps show diversity and innovation
The gaming category showcased the diverse and innovative games that Indian users played in 2023. The games spanned across genres like sports, role-playing, and action. Some of the games in this category were:
- Monopoly GO!, the best game of the year, which is a mobile version of the classic board game with new features and modes.
- Subway Surfer Blast, the user’s choice game of the year, which is a spin-off of the popular endless runner game with new characters, power-ups, and challenges.
- Battle Stars: 4v4 TDM & BR, the best made in India game of the year, which is a multiplayer shooter game with team deathmatch and battle royale modes.
Ongoing games keep users engaged
The ‘Best Ongoing Game’ category highlighted the games that have been updated regularly with new content, features, and events to keep users engaged. Some of the games in this category were:
- Battlegrounds Mobile India, the Indian version of the popular battle royale game, which introduced a new map, NUSA, and integrated characters from Dragon Super Ball.
- Genshin Impact, an open-world role-playing game, which added new regions, characters, quests, and events to its fantasy world.
- Asphalt 9: Legends, a racing game, which added new cars, tracks, modes, and seasons to its adrenaline-fueled gameplay.
AI and e-commerce apps show potential
Google Play also noted some of the trends and potentials of the apps in 2023. One of the trends was the use of artificial intelligence to enhance user experience across categories such as learning, wellness, e-commerce, and more. For example, Earth5R used AI to connect users with sustainable development initiatives and internship programs.
Another trend was the growth of e-commerce apps that catered to the diverse and specific needs of Indian users. For example, NEWME offered customized fashion trends and products for young users in Tier-II and Tier-III cities.
Google Play also praised the Indian developers for building apps for diverse global communities and use cases. For example, Autism BASICS assisted children with special needs across the world in developing behavioral, social, and academic skills.