Starbucks CEO Laxman Narasimhan recently revealed his favorite drink at the coffee chain, which has an Indian connection. In an interview with Fortune, Mr Narasimhan said that his “favorite go-to drink” at Starbucks is the Doppio Espresso Macchiato with some hot milk on the side. He expressed that the drink reminded him of the coffee he used to have in India.
- Doppio Espresso Macchiato: A double shot of espresso topped with a dollop of steamed milk foam.
- Hot milk on the side: A small cup of hot milk, preferably skim, to add to the espresso for a creamier texture and flavor.
- South Indian coffee: A traditional filter coffee made with finely ground dark roasted coffee beans and chicory, brewed with hot water and mixed with boiled milk and sugar.
The CEO’s beverage is not expensive and has a simple recipe
According to Fortune, Mr Narasimhan’s beverage is not expensive. It costs just $3.35 (around ₹ 280), which is on the lower end for the coffee chain, whose prices can cost as much as $5.95 for a seasonal pumpkin spice frappacino. The drink also has a simple recipe, which can be easily replicated at home or ordered at any Starbucks outlet.
- Ingredients: Espresso, milk, and optional sugar.
- Steps: Brew a double shot of espresso and pour it into a small cup. Spoon some steamed milk foam over the espresso. Heat some milk in a saucepan or microwave and pour it into another small cup. Add sugar if desired. Enjoy the espresso macchiato with the hot milk on the side.
The CEO has a rich and diverse background in the consumer industry
Laxman Narasimhan was named CEO of Starbucks in 2022. He succeeded the founder of the company Howard Schultz. The 56-year-old has around 30 years of experience in leading and advising global consumer good businesses and restaurants, e-commerce, and retail companies. He is known for his operational and transformational expertise, as well as his passion for developing and growing purpose-led brands.
- Reckitt: Before joining Starbucks, Mr Narasimhan was the CEO of Reckitt, a multinational consumer health, hygiene, and nutrition company. He led the company through a major transformation and a return to sustainable growth. He also launched a company-wide effort to anchor Reckitt’s consumer brands in higher demand spaces, re-imagining some of the company’s most notable labels, and doubling the size of Reckitt’s e-commerce business since he took the helm.
- PepsiCo: Mr Narasimhan also held various executive positions at PepsiCo, one of the world’s leading food and beverage companies. He was the chief commercial officer of PepsiCo, responsible for driving long-term growth across the company’s global categories and brands. He also served as the CEO of PepsiCo Latin America, Europe, and Sub-Saharan Africa, overseeing the company’s operations across more than 100 countries.
- McKinsey & Company: Mr Narasimhan worked at McKinsey & Company for 19 years and advised companies across various industries including consumer goods, retail, and healthcare in the US, India, and Asia. He was a senior partner and a leader in the firm’s consumer and healthcare practices.
The CEO has a degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Pune
Mr Narasimhan was born and raised in Pune, a city in southwestern India. He moved to the US in the early 1990s to study and work there. He obtained a degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Pune and did Master’s of Arts in German and International Studies from the Lauder Institute, The University of Pennsylvania. He also holds an MBA degree in Finance from The Wharton School of The University of Pennsylvania.
- University of Pune: A public state university in Pune, India. It was established in 1949 and is one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in India. It offers various undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in various disciplines such as engineering, science, arts, commerce, law, management, and education.
- Lauder Institute: A joint venture between the Wharton School and the School of Arts and Sciences at the University of Pennsylvania. It offers a dual-degree program that combines an MBA or a JD with a Master of Arts in International Studies. It also provides students with language training, cultural immersion, and global knowledge.
- Wharton School: The business school of the University of Pennsylvania. It was founded in 1881 and is the oldest collegiate business school in the US. It is widely regarded as one of the world’s top business schools, offering various programs in finance, management, marketing, entrepreneurship, and more.